When your lips become dry and chapped, the lipid layers become unbalanced. Different areas of skin will begin to flake and peel off, and you’ll end up with rough, cracked lips. The longer that you leave your lips alone, the worse they may become. Dry, chapped lips are exposed to environmental elements that may penetrate into deeper layers of the skin and cause even more damage.
A lip scrub could be all that you need to heal your lips. This exfoliant will remove chapped, dead skin, so the moisturizing elements in your lip balm can further penetrate deeper into the skin for a more intense hydration effect. After using a lip scrub, you’ll be on your way to healthy, soft and smoochable lips!
A good lip scrub can also prevent premature aging and give your lips a more youthful complexion. It can create a smooth canvas for lipstick, lip gloss and other lip products.
- How to Choose the Best Lip Scrub
- Top 10 Best Lip Scrubs 2022
- 1. Best Overall Lip Scrub: Handmade Heroes Vegan Coconut Lip Scrub
- 2. Best Budget Lip Scrub: Revlon Kiss Exfoliating Balm
- 3. Best Premium Lip Scrub: Hanalei Sugar Lip Scrub
- 4. Best Honey Scrub: Burt's Bees Conditioning Lip Scrub
- 5. ChapStick Total Hydration Natural Lip Scrub
- 6. Softest Lip Scrub: L'Oreal Paris Pure Sugar Scrub
- 7. Beauty for Real Lip Revival Lip Scrub
- 8. Beauty by Earth Organic Vanilla Lip Scrub
- 9. E.L.F. Lip Exfoliator
- 10. Beauty Treats Lip Scrub
- A Complete Guide to Lip Scrubs
- Over and Pout
How to Choose the Best Lip Scrub
Choosing the best lip scrub is a piece of cake once you know what to look for. While there are many factors that you should take into consideration, the three main factors that you need to consider include the ingredients that are inside the lip scrub, its fragrance and scent and whether it has any notable features.
When choosing a lip scrub, the most important thing is the ingredients that are inside the scrub. Most lip scrubs are made with three different types of ingredients: emollients, humectants and exfoliates.
Emollients, which will soften, smooth and moisturize your lips, are the creamy or oily base of the scrub. It’s essentially the foundation that every other ingredient is layered on top of. Choose an emollient that’s hydrating, moisturizing and soothing on your lips. There are many options to choose from. For example, avocado oil is really nourishing for your lips; however, if you have latex allergies, there’s a higher chance that you’re allergic to avocado oil, so you’ll have to be more cautious. Coconut oil has a higher chance of clogging your pores than avocado oil, but it has antibacterial and antifungal properties!
Humectants are ingredients that promote moisture retention by attracting water to your skin’s surface. These ingredients further moisturize and nourish your lips.
Exfoliates are tiny abrasive ingredients that scrub off dead skin. It’s always better to look for gentle exfoliators that are natural, as they are less likely to irritate the skin.
|● Avocado oil |
● Cocoa butter
● Coconut butter
● Coconut oil
● Grapeseed oil
● Jojoba oil
● Shea butter
● Vitamin E oil
|● Aloe |
|● Brown cane sugar |
● Coarse oats
● Coffee grounds
● White sugar
Ingredients to Avoid
Not all ingredients are good for your lips, especially if they’re chapped. If you want to heal chapped lips, some ingredients may irritate and dry out your lips, causing them to become even more chapped. According to the American Academy of Dermatology Association (AAD), you’ll have a difficult time hydrating your lips and getting rid of flaky skin if the lip scrub you use contains ingredients like:
- Citrus extracts
- Mint extracts
- Octinoxate or oxybenzone
- Peppermint extracts
- Phenol (or phenyl)
- Propyl gallate
- Salicylic acid
If the lip scrub you use has any of these ingredients, you’ll want to be more cautious. Make sure that you’re not experiencing any irritation or dryness after applying the product.
Flavor and Scent
Most lip scrubs will have unique flavors and scents even if they are made from natural ingredients. Some of the emollients, humectants and exfoliates will naturally have a scent or flavor to them. For example, the Handmade Heroes All Natural Lip Scrub will naturally smell and taste like coconut, and it’s delicious. You can also find this product flavored with matcha powder or pina colada!
If you have sensitive skin, avoid artificially-scented and flavored products. In particular, you’ll want to avoid any products that have ‘fragrances’ in their ingredient list.
Look for products that have that extra WOW power! These products may be able to condition your lips in addition to exfoliating them. They may have SPF protection in them. The packaging can also be a notable feature. The Revlon Kiss Exfoliating Balm comes in a tube-like lipstick, which makes it a lot easier to apply.
With these three key factors in point, let’s take a gander at some glorious lip scrubs you can get a hold of today and cure those cursed, chapped lips.
Top 10 Best Lip Scrubs 2022
1. Best Overall Lip Scrub: Handmade Heroes Vegan Coconut Lip Scrub
This all-natural lip scrub will buff away dry, flaky lips to give you that smooth, plump look you’ve been dreaming of! It offers a gentle exfoliation that is great for sensitive lips. As it offers gentle exfoliation, you can use this product a bit more frequently than other lip scrubs. It’s also a great entry scrub to use for those who haven’t used an exfoliant before. The product contains many natural essential oils and fatty acids that penetrate deep into the lips to moisturize them while the sugar exfoliates and buffs away all the dead skin.
Scoop up a pea size amount and scrub it onto your lips in a circular motion. Use this scrub before applying any lipstick to get a smooth canvas and surface. You can apply this product with your fingers or with a lip scrub brush.
This lip scrub is handcrafted and also vegan and cruelty-free. Cruelty-free products tend to be cleaner and are less likely to trigger breakouts or inflammation. All in all, this product is a treat for dry lips although you can use it to exfoliate suppler lips as well to make them look extra plump.
This lip scrub is made with 100% natural ingredients, like sugar, sweet almond oil, coconut, olive oil emulsifier, jojoba oil, avocado oil, sunflower lecithin, glycerine and vitamin E. These ingredients are great for nourishing and hydrating dry, chapped lips. They’ll lock in the moisture and give it that plumpness you’ve always wanted. Some of the ingredients that can do wonders for your lips include:
- Avocado oil, which nourishes and softens the lips. This oil will rehydrate the lips after a good exfoliation, so that it doesn’t get too dry. This prevents the lips from getting irritated.
- Coconut oil, which is not only nourishing but also the reason why this lip scrub tastes and smells absolutely divine. Coconut oil is also antibacterial and antifungal.
- Jojoba oil, which contains plenty of healthy fatty acids that are soothing for your lips. This is a great oil for chapped, dry lips. This oil can also promote collagen synthesis.
- Sweet almond oil, which also nourishes and softens lips and locks in moisture!
It’s also petroleum-free, paraben-free and fragrance-free, so it’s a great product for those with sensitive skin. It also doesn’t contain any preservatives or synthetic chemicals.
Flavor and Scent
This lip scrub smells and tastes like coconut sorbet. There are no fragrances in this product, so this flavor and smell comes from the 100% natural ingredients in the scrub. This product also comes in matcha flavor and pina colada flavor as well. Both of these lip scrubs are flavored by their ingredients, with the matcha offering a medium exfoliation and pina colada offering a deep exfoliation.
The most notable feature about this product is that it is made with 100% natural ingredients and that it contains so many essential oils and fatty acids. This is a great product that will work on all skin types. Some of the oils, like olive oil, have anti-aging effects, so they will keep your lips looking young and beautiful.
- Gentle exfoliation
- Affordable product (a little goes a really long way!)
- Made with 100% natural ingredients
- Contain many natural oils that are great for your lips
- Smells and tastes like coconut sorbet
- Potted, so it may be difficult for some people to apply
2. Best Budget Lip Scrub: Revlon Kiss Exfoliating Balm
Revlon is a trendsetter in the world of cosmetics, fragrance, skincare and personal care. They produce high-quality products that are super affordable. The Revlon Kiss Exfoliating Balm is a lip scrub that you can use alone or instantly smooth your lips to prep it for other lip products. It’s a combination of a lip scrub and a lip balm, so it offers a lot of moisturizing properties.
This lip scrub is very easy to use. You can apply it like lipstick and then wipe the excess off with a damp cloth. The sugar exfoliates will melt away naturally while sloughing off dead skin. It’s always a good idea to wipe off the dead skin to create an even smoother canvas and surface.
This product is infused with some natural fruit oils that do a great job at keeping lips moisturized; however, it also contains some ingredients that are not as desirable. For example, one of the main ingredients used in this lip scrub is petrolatum. Although petrolatum can lock in moisture, it may also be contaminated with polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH), which can cause skin irritation and allergies.
Some of the natural fruit oils in the lip scrub can do wonders for your lips though. Some of the ingredients that are great for the lips include:
- Rubus Idaeus (raspberry) seed oil, which can offer some protection to UV radiation. It’s a good source of vitamin A and E and is noncomedogenic, so it won’t clog your pores. This oil can also stimulate collagen production and slow down the hands of time.
- Punica Granatum seed oil, which contains antioxidants that improve skin regeneration. This is an outstanding oil for skincare, and can calm aging and stressed skin.
- Vitis Vinifera (grape) seed oil, which has antioxidants that will protect the skin from aging and environmental agents. This oil will moisturize and hydrate your lips, so they feel and look smoother.
- Mangifera Indica (mango) seed butter, which can tighten your lips to give them a more youthful appearance. It can also minimize the look of pores and bumps caused by sun damage or aging.
- Cocos Nucifera (coconut) oil, which is packed with fatty acids and oils that will moisturize and hydrate your lips. It can also heal damaged or dry lips.
It’s also important to note that this product contains Mentha Piperita (peppermint) oil. Although this can make your lips look plumper, it’s also known to irritate sensitive lips, so those who have sensitive lips may want to avoid this product. Fortunately, it doesn’t contain a lot of peppermint oil, so the chances of irritation are pretty slim.
Flavor and Scent
This has a soothing sweet mint flavor that can feel really refreshing. The mint taste comes from the peppermint oil.
This lip scrub offers 24-hour hydration to keep your lips moisturized. You’ll feel a noticeable difference almost immediately. The best thing about this product is that, unlike lip scrubs like the Hanalei Sugar Lip Scrub, it comes in a package that looks like a lipstick tube. It is extremely easy to apply, and you can control how much product is dispensed with ease.
- Uses real sugar crystals
- Offers 24 hours of deep moisturization
- Infused with natural fruit oils
- Comes in a lipstick packaging
- Extremely affordable
- Not made with 100% natural ingredients
The Hanalei Sugar Lip Scrub is inspired by the Hawaiian islands. The name Hanalei comes from an island that is located on the North Shore of the island of Kauaʻi and is known for its spectacular beauty.
The thing that makes this lip scrub stand out from its competitors is that it’s made with Hawaiian botanicals like kukui nuts and turbinado sugar crystals. This product is also cruelty-free and enrolled in PETA’s Beauty without Bunnies program.
To use this product, scoop a pea size amount out of the jar and massage it onto your lips in a circular motion. Wipe the scrub off with a tissue or a damp cloth and follow it up with a lip treatment or conditioner.
The ingredients in this lip scrub can restore hydration in dry, chapped lips. They exfoliate, smooth, and brighten skin. The star ingredients in this lip scrub are Hawaiian botanicals. They include:
- Kukui nuts. These moisturize and revitalize dry lips. These nuts also contain antioxidants that protect your lips from harmful radicals. With that said, those with a nut allergy should avoid this lip scrub. The kukui nut was used by ancient Polynesians to soothe sunburn and heal the skin. This is a very beneficial ingredient, as it contains a plethora of vitamins, like vitamin A, C and E, and fatty acids.
- Turbinado sugar crystals are extremely fine in comparison to white sugar or brown cane sugar. These sugar crystals create a very gentle exfoliation, so this product is great for more frequent use. The exfoliation is also less likely to irritate your lips, and this sugar cane was used by Hanalei locals to exfoliate, brighten and smooth skin. Native Americans also used this sugar to disinfect wounds and treat heart problems, pains, asthma and sprains.
This lip scrub also contains natural fruit oils, like jojoba seed oil, which is a great moisturizer, and shea butter, which locks in moisture and leaves your lips feeling silky smooth. This product contains many more natural oils that make it super moisturizing. You’ll notice just how moisturizing the formula is when you scoop some out – it’ll literally melt into your fingers.
Unfortunately, petrolatum is also one of its primary ingredients. While petrolatum is a decent moisturizer, it can irritate sensitive lips. Fortunately, this ingredient doesn’t contain any talc, parabens or sulfates.
Flavor and Scent
It’s hard to pinpoint the actual flavor and scent of this product, but you can expect a sweet, nutty scent that’s very pleasing. The flavor and scent don’t linger around for too long.
Other than the fact that this product is created with ingredients that are inspired by Hawaii, this product is known for its intensely hydrating and moisturizing properties. It’s a great product for those with dry, chapped lips. Another notable feature is that this product is made in the USA.
- Made with Hawaiian botanicals, like turbinado sugar crystals and kukui nuts
- Smooths and brightens skin
- Paraben-free, sulfate-free and talc-free
- Moisturizes lips and leaves it feeling silky smooth
- Smells sweet and sugary
- Contains kukui nuts, so those with nut allergies should avoid
4. Best Honey Scrub: Burt's Bees Conditioning Lip Scrub
Burt’s Bees is known for making wonderful lip balms that are extremely nourishing. This lip scrub formulated by them is no difference. It’s a gentle exfoliator that has intense moisturizing properties and is made with exotic oils and exfoliating honey crystals.
Apply a generous amount of this lip scrub on your lips and scrub in a circular motion to exfoliate away dead skin. Rinse off the lip scrub afterward, and your lips will have a natural, healthy glow. You can apply an intensive conditioner or treatment after exfoliating with this scrub for ultimate moisture. As this is a gentle exfoliator that relies on honey crystals, it can be used 2 to 3 times a week.
The only issue with this product is that it comes with a shallow pot. It can be difficult to get all of the product out if you are using your fingers.
This lip scrub is made with nutrient-rich ingredients that are 100% natural, like honey, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, vegetable oil, acacia senegal gum, lanolin, flavor (natural flavor), beeswax, theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, glyceryl behenate, silica, rebaudioside A and limonene.
- Honey, which is not only quite fragrant but also a great moisturizer that will soften and recondition dry, chapped lips. The honey sugars are gentle on the lips and won’t irritate them at all when used as an exfoliator.
This lip scrub does not contain any parabens, phthalates or SLS. Best of all, it doesn’t contain any petrolatum, which is a very common ingredient that can be found in many other lip scrubs like the Revlon Kiss Exfoliating Balm. Petrolatum can be an irritant, so it’s often a good idea to avoid it, although for most people it’s harmless.
Another good thing about this product is that the ingredients, like the beeswax, are responsibly sourced and have a 100% natural origin.
Flavor and Scent
This product has a light sweet mint smell that’s very soothing and delectable. It tastes a little sweet, as its primary ingredient is honey.
As one of Burt’s Bees products, you can expect this lip scrub to be very hydrating. It conditions dry lips with ease, and its most notable feature is that it uses honey as its primary ingredient. Honey is great for those with acne and other types of skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis. It is super moisturizing, so it can penetrate deep into the skin in order to replenish its moisture levels. Honey can also speed up your skin cell’s healing processes, and can control outbreaks and reduce inflammation.
- Nutrient-rich and 100% natural ingredients
- Gentle exfoliator using honey crystals
- Responsibly sourced ingredients
- Smells sweet and fragrant
- Nourishes dry, chapped lips
- Comes in a pot, which may make it difficult to scoop out all of the product with your fingers
Chapstick has been the leading lip care expert for more than 125 years. They were one of the first companies to create a lip balm that can hydrate and moisturize your lips for a long period of time. The Chapstick Total Hydration Natural Lip Scrub has a consistency similar to Chapstick; however, it does offer gentle exfoliation to make your lips look and feel smoother and more supple. Unlike a Chapstick, however, this product comes in a little jar, which makes it quite a bit more difficult to apply.
The primary ingredients in this lip scrub are all-natural ingredients and oils that are filled with antioxidants and vitamins. This product does contain some synthetic chemicals, but it’s in such minimal amounts that it’s not worth worrying about. Some of the main ingredients that you’ll find in this lip scrub include:
- Sugar, which is used as a gentle exfoliant. Sugar is one of the most popular exfoliates used in lip scrubs as they are gentle and not likely to cause any irritation.
- Carthamus Tinctorius (safflower) seed oil, which gives this lip scrub it’s moisturizing and nourishing properties. Your skin will quickly absorb this light, non-greasy oil and feel and look moisturized. Safflower seed oil also contains high levels of linoleic acid, which has been known to be able to balance sebum levels in the skin.
- Shea butter, which is known for its intense moisturizing properties. It’ll lock moisture in by forming a barrier between your lips and the environment.
- Helianthus Annuus (sunflower) seed wax, which also contributes to the non-greasy feel and texture of this lip scrub. This lip scrub really does feel like a Chapstick. It’s very nourishing and doesn’t leave any type of residue behind.
- Cocos Nucifera (coconut) oil, which is also known for its hydrating properties. It’s great for the skin and will leave your lips feeling soft and supple.
- Passiflora Edulis Seed Oil (Maracuja), which contains a lot of linoleic acid. Linoleic acid is great for the lips, is rich in protective antioxidants, and can protect your lips from pollution, environmental stressors, and sun damage.
This lip scrub contains a lot of great ingredients that give it a creamy texture similar to Chapstick. It’s non-greasy and feels great on your lips. If you’re looking for something that reminiscent of Chapstick, this is the lip scrub for you!
Flavor and Scent
You get to choose from three different flavors and scents: peppermint, sugar plum and vanilla creme and peppermint. The peppermint one gives your lips a nice little tingle. This may not necessarily be something that someone with sensitive skin may want. Those individuals may prefer sugar plum, as it’s a nice, sweet scent and flavor without any plumping effect. The vanilla creme and peppermint is just as lovely; however, it does have a milder peppermint taste and feel than peppermint alone.
You know you’re getting a great product, as Chapstick has a great reputation. They’ve been one of the leading lip care companies out there for over a century. They offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee on their products, and you can rest assured that one jar will last you a very long time. After all, when was the last time that you were able to get to the bottom of a tube of Chapstick?
- Comes in three different flavors and scents
- 100% guarantee
- Very nourishing and moisturizing
- Reputable company with over 125 years of experience
- Comes in a jar, which makes it a bit more difficult to apply
6. Softest Lip Scrub: L'Oreal Paris Pure Sugar Scrub
This is an ultra-soft sugar scrub that will gently exfoliate your lips. It’s paired with finely ground Acai and nutrient rich oils, like Monoi oil and grapeseed oil. Once you scrub this product onto your lips, you should feel it getting smoother almost immediately.
This product is suitable for all skin types. You can dispense a small amount of the lip scrub onto your fingers and massage it onto your lips or you can put it directly onto your lips using the tube. Continue to massage it until you feel the sugars slowly dissolve. Then, wipe off the excess with a damp cloth or wash your face. You should use this lip scrub once a week for optimal results. Your skin will look rebalanced, healthier and smoother.
It’s important to note that this product is not recommended for use on chapped lips.
The ingredients in this lip scrub are a bit unique. There are some notable ingredients that are worth mentioning like:
- This lip scrub uses a blend of brown, white and blonde sugar that will slowly dissolve as you rub it into your lips.
- Rosmarinus Officinalis (rosemary) extract, which can help control acne and treat skin conditions. This extract can also soothe damaged lips and expedite the healing process.
- Cocos Nucifera (coconut) oil, which is known for its hydrating and moisturizing properties.
- Grapeseed oil, which will make your lips feel smoother and fresher. These oils can also melt away dirt, oil and impurities while the sugar polishes the dry skin.
Although there are some impressive ingredients in this product, it also contains a lot of synthetic chemicals and preservatives as well. This may not be ideal for those who are looking for something that’s all-natural. On top of this, this lip scrub does contain some artificial fragrance – although the amount is very minimal so it is not likely to irritate the skin. It is also naturally scented with natural oils and ingredients, like the Gardenia Taitensis flower.
Flavor and Scent
This product is made with three pure sugars and grapeseed oil, so it has a nice sweet, yet grapey smell to it that’ll subtly linger even after you’ve scrubbed your lips. This is by far one of the most popular scents, as it has a fruity flavor to it.
This lip scrub comes in the form of a tube which makes it very easy to dispense and apply. You can easily control the amount of product that comes out each and every time.
- Uses a blend of three different sugars
- Removes oils, dirt and other impurities, as well as dead skin
- Extremely hydrating and nourishing
- Enhanced with finely ground Acai and nutrient-rich oils, like grapeseed oil
- Comes in a tube for each application
- Don’t get a lot of product
- Contains synthetic chemicals and fragrance
- Not to be used on chapped lips
This lip scrub is recommended for all lips. It’s a wonderful treatment that can provide relief from chapped, dry lips, and is made from natural ingredients and flavored with essential oils. It’s easy to apply. All you have to do is scoop up a pea-size amount with your fingers and gently rub it onto your lips for 15 to 30 seconds. As this is a more aggressive exfoliator, you don’t want to rub for too long. Otherwise, you run the risk of irritating your skin. Remove any excess with a tissue.
The Beauty for Revival Sugar Lip Scrub doesn’t contain any ingredients that are too special; however, these ingredients are organic and natural and can do some good to your skin. Some of the ingredients that you’ll find in this product include:
- Sugar, which will melt away and dissolve on its own as you rub the lip scrub onto your lips.
- Hydrogenated vegetable oil, which actually does not get absorbed into the skin. Its main job is to sit on top of your skin and form a barrier between your skin and the elements. In particular, it’s meant to stop moisture from evaporating or escaping.
- Saccharum Officinarum (sugar cane) extract, which can be used to fight acne and blemishes. It’ll also hydrate and moisturize your skin to leave it feeling smooth and supple. This extract can also prevent aging.
For some reason, this lip scrub is a bit chunky in texture and may feel a bit gritty; however, this grittiness does a great job of exfoliating away dead skin to give you a more refined and polished look. It offers a medium level of exfoliation.
This product does not contain any parabens. It’s also cruelty-free, vegan, and is made in the USA.
Flavor and Scent
If you’re a fan of vanilla flavors, you’ll love this product! It’s naturally scented and flavored using vanilla essential oil. You’ll also smell and taste a hint of orange, as it also contains Citrus Sinensis (orange) essential oil.
The 100% satisfaction guarantee does stand out, but other than that, this product is just your standard lip scrub. It does smell amazing though!
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed
- Smells and taste amazing
- Contains natural, vegan ingredients
- Makes your lips look younger
- Comes in a pot, so it’s difficult to apply
- May feel a bit gritty
Chapped, dry lips will have met their match with this lip scrub. It’s a great product for removing flaky, dead skin in order to show off the smooth, kissable lips underneath. Incorporate this product into the beginning of your beauty routine, so you have a smooth canvas for applying lip products on.
Like with other lip scrubs, you only need a small pea-size amount. Rub the product in a circular motion on your lips with your fingertips for about 30 seconds, and you’ll see the dead skin literally slough off. You can then wipe off the product using a damp cloth. Or, you can even eat the remaining sugar that’s still lingering on your lips! Use this lip scrub once or twice a week for best results.
This product comes in a pot, which can make it difficult for you to get all of the product out.
The ingredients in this lip scrub are impressive because they are all edible and are either Fair Trade Certified or organic. You’ll be able to pronounce all of the items on the list, and you might even have a lot of them at home. Some of the ingredients that you’ll find in this lip scrub include:
- Fair Trade Certified Organic Sugar. You can rest assured that you’re making a positive impact on the lives of the farmers who harvest this sugar.
- Organic vanilla flavor, which is responsible for giving this lip scrub it’s scrumptious flavor and scent.
- Organic jojoba oil, which has anti-aging properties and will also lock in moisture. Jojoba oil can also control oil production and prevent acne.
- Organic olive oil, which is known to moisturize and hydrate your lips without clogging any pores. This is a great product for those who may struggle with acne and other oily skin conditions. Olive oil can fight bacteria and is rich in vitamins and antioxidants.
- Organic coconut oil. Coconut oil can reduce inflammation and heal wounds. This is a decent ingredient to have in a lip scrub if you have very minor cuts or peeling skin. Don’t forget that you shouldn’t use a lip scrub if you have any open cuts!
- Vitamin E, which can protect the skin from free radicals in the environment and give it a boost of radiance.
- Organic Rosemary Leaf Extract, which can reduce swelling and puffiness and heal damaged skin. This is an effective cure for chronic skin conditions like dermatitis, eczema, and psoriasis.
Organic ingredients contain fewer pesticides and are generally gentler on the skin. They also tend to contain more antioxidants as well.
Flavor and Scent
This product smells absolutely amazing. It has a delicious vanilla flavor and scent that’s honestly a little bit addictive. The fragrance comes from organic oils, and doesn’t linger for too long. However, you’ll definitely be hit by waves of sweet vanilla when you open the jar.
This product also comes in many other flavors and scents as well. You can also find a berry-flavored and a mint-flavored alternative in stores and online.
You can literally eat all of the ingredients that are in this product! It’s made from 100% natural ingredients and contains a lot of organic oils.
- Uses Fair Trade Certified ingredients and organic oils
- Smells divine thanks to the organic vanilla inside
- Contains 100% natural ingredients
- Can reduce puffiness and heal damaged skin
- Very moisturizing and an ideal choice for dry, chapped lips
- Comes in a pot, so it can be difficult to get the product out
E.L.F. is known for making affordable skincare and cosmetic products. This lip exfoliator is another home run in their portfolio. It does a great job at exfoliating your lips to give it a beautiful glow. It’ll remove all flaky, dead skin to give you a smooth canvas to work with.
To use this product, twist some of it up and rub it over your lips in small, circular motions for about 30 seconds. Make sure that you get the corners as well. Next, wipe the product off gently with a cotton pad and follow up with a nourishing lip balm or treatment.
This product is 100% vegan and cruelty-free, which isn’t surprising since E.L.F’s motto is “Because kindness is chic.”
Depending on the flavor that you get, you’ll notice that there are different ingredients in this product. It contains a mix of natural oils and synthetic chemicals. While the synthetic chemicals aren’t that impressive, some of the oils that it contains are fairly good for your lips. They include:
- Fine sugar, which is used as a gentle exfoliation.
- Shea butter, which is super hydrating.
- Jojoba seed oil, which has antioxidants with anti-aging properties.
- Vitis Vinifera (grape) seed oil, which will protect your lips from environmental factors.
Despite the fact that this product contains a lot of natural oils and butter, it’s primary ingredients are synthetic waxes and hydrogenated polyisobutylene. Due to this reason, this lip scrub does not have as creamy of a texture as other products, like Handmade Heroes All Natural Lip Scrub.
On a good note, this product does not contain any phthalates, parabens, ethoxylates, triclosan, nonylphenol, triclocarban and hydroquinone.
Flavor and Scent
You’ll find this lip scrub in 6 different flavors and scents: brown sugar, sweet cherry, mint maniac, coconut, pink grapefruit and rose.
This lip scrub comes in a lipstick-like packaging that makes it super easy to apply and carry with you. It’s a great travel product that will keep your lips looking supple and smooth. The packaging also ensures that you’ll dispense the same amount of product each and every time.
- Comes in a lipstick packaging for easy applications
- Exfoliates away dead skin
- Nourishes and hydrates lips
- Extremely affordable
- 100% cruelty-free and vegan
- Not as creamy as other options
If you’re looking for variety, the Beauty Treats Lip Scrub may be the perfect product for you. You get 4 different flavors with this purchase. Each scrub comes in a small, little pot, so you can even give some of them to family and friends. The only issue is that the pots are relatively small, so it can be difficult to get all of the product out with your fingers. This product is also cruelty-free.
The ingredient list for this product is pretty good, but nothing really stands out. It contains synthetic chemicals and is not made from 100% natural ingredients. It does, however, contain some ingredients that are good for the skin, like:
- Vitamin E, which can protect your lips from free radicals and give it a boost of radiance
- Soybean oil, which can nourish and moisturize dry, chapped lips.
- Vitamin F, which has restorative properties and can help your lips look younger and more supple.
- Finely ground walnut shells, which act as a gentle exfoliator.
- Titanium dioxide, which can protect lips from UVA and UVB radiation.
These products do contain some less desirable ingredients, like petrolatum.
Flavor and Scent
You get a lot of variety with this purchase. There are 4 different flavored lip scrubs: almond creme, dark cherry, vanilla bean and wild apple. The scents, however, aren’t very strong, and will be gone by the time that you wipe this lip scrub off. The ingredient list does note that these scrubs have a bit of added fragrance in them; however, since there is very little fragrance, this scrub is still a suitable choice for those with sensitive skin.
This is just your standard lip scrub. It doesn’t necessarily contain any antioxidants or vitamins that really stand out nor is it packaged in a way that makes it easy to apply. The one thing that is a bit unique about this product is that it contains titanium dioxide, which is sunscreen that can protect your lips from UVA and UVB radiation.
- Variety of flavors and scents
- Offers a gentle exfoliation using finely ground walnut shells
- Contains some antioxidants and vitamins
- Only a little is needed
- Contains titanium dioxide
- Comes in very small jars, which can make it difficult to get the product out
- Not made from 100% natural ingredients
A Complete Guide to Lip Scrubs
Lip scrubs are wonderful. They can transform dry, chapped lips into plump, luscious ones within minutes. Best of all, their effects last! Using a lip scrub twice a week can make a huge difference in the condition and health of your lips. You’ll notice that they’ll stay smoother and more hydrated throughout the entire week.
A good lip scrub does more than just exfoliate. It will also moisturize and condition your lips and repair any damage that may have been caused by exposure to the sun or aging. It’ll create a smooth canvas for you to apply lip products on and will get rid of flaky, dead skin that’s causing your lips to look lumpy.
Other Factors to Consider
While the ingredients, flavor and scents and notable features are really important, there are many other factors that you also need to take into consideration when narrowing down your options. These factors should not have as much of an effect on your purchasing decision. Nonetheless, we’ve gone into detail below.
The Intensity of the Exfoliation
Most lip scrubs will fall under the category of gentle, medium or deep exfoliation. Knowing the product that’ll work best for you is important. In general, most people should start off with a gentle exfoliator. These are less likely to irritate your lips and will give you that beautiful glow that you’re looking for. You can also use a gentle exfoliator more frequently. If, however, you have a lot of dead skin on your lips, you might want to kick it up a notch and get a lip scrub that offers medium or deep exfoliation instead.
Every lip scrub should have some information on the back on how long the product will last. As many of these products contain 100% natural ingredients, you’ll want to make sure that they have some type of preservative that will prevent it from going bad. Some ingredients, like the honey used in this Burt’s Bees scrub, are natural preservatives.
The Intensity of Moisturizing Effects
If you’re looking for a lip scrub, then chances are that you have dry lips. Consider how moisturizing the ingredients in the lip scrub can be. Some people find avocado oil more moisturizing than coconut oil. Different ingredients work better for different people.
Ease of Use
Last but not least, consider how easy it is to use the product. If you’re buying a potted lip scrub, like this one, look for one that comes in a shallow pot. It’ll be much easier to scoop out as much product as possible. Consider the length of time that you need to keep the lip scrub on for, how easy it is to apply and how easy it is to wash off. Some lip scrubs don’t need to be washed off.
9 Tips on How to Heal Dry, Chapped Lips
If you have dry, chapped lips, using a good lip scrub will help, but it won’t solve your problems for good. You should also consider implementing some of the 9 tips that we’ve listed below. If you do, you should notice a huge improvement in your lips within 2 to 3 weeks!
Tip #1. Stop Licking Your Lips
“Though it may sound counterintuitive, when you lick your lips, which are more sensitive than other parts of the skin, the saliva evaporates, leaving them drier than before.”
When your lips are dry, you might be tempted to lick them, but this will only make the problem worse in the long run. Saliva can be very dehydrating, and can cause your lips to crack or even peel, so try to stop licking your lips even when you feel that they’re very dry. Your saliva may also contain a lot of enzymes that will break down the cells on your lips even further.
Tip #2. Do Not Pick or Peel off the Dead Skin
It’s also very tempting to pick or peel off the dead skin on your lips, but this is also something that you should avoid doing at all costs. Picking or peeling off the dead skin can remove healthy skin as well. This can lead to cuts and sores that take a long time to heal. These damages will also worsen the condition of dry, chapped lips.
If the flakiness is really bothering you, use a lip scrub! You can even consider wetting a soft toothbrush and manually exfoliating off some of that dead skin.
Tip #3. Use Moisturizing Lip Products
The type of products that you use can make a huge difference, so make sure that you choose lipsticks and lipglosses with moisturizing ingredients in them. Avoid matte lipsticks whenever possible. Although they may look very chic, they’re super drying.
The best thing to do is to wear lip balm more frequently. We have a full article about them that you can check out. Even with lip balm, there are some ingredients that are better than others. Look for products that contain natural oils, like almond oil, coconut oil and jojoba oil. These lip balms can lock in moisture and penetrate deep into your lips. Avoid ones that have menthol or mint extracts in them, as these ingredients tend to be drying.
If the lip products that you put on your lips ever sting or feel uncomfortable, you need to stop immediately. It may be an indication that you have a sensitivity to one of the ingredients in the formula.
Tip #4. Use a Humidifier
Dry skin and dry air come hand in hand. If you install a humidifier in your home, you are adding more moisture into the air, which can keep your lips feeling more hydrated and supple, especially through cold, winter months. A humidifier will be especially helpful if you tend to breathe out of your mouth when you sleep.
Tip #5. Stay Hydrated
This follows the same logic as using a humidifier. Have you ever noticed that your veins lie flat against your skin when you’re dehydrated? When you don’t have enough fluids in you, your lips are also prone to getting dry. Stay hydrated throughout the day, and you’ll notice a significant difference in the plumpness of your lips!
Tip #6. Avoid Holding Metal Objects With Your Lips
This is a funny one, but you should also avoid holding metal objects, like paper clips, spoons and forks, with your lips. The metal can irritate sensitive lips and cause them to be more prone to dryness.
Tip #7. Choose Products That Are Fragrance-Free
Fragrances can lead to irritation. It can also cause your lips to dry up even quicker. Look for products that are fragrance-free and hypoallergenic if you have dry, chapped lips. You also need to be careful with the ingredients that are in each formula. Oftentimes, manufacturers may add peppermint oil, cinnamon and other extracts to a product. While these may not be ‘fragrances’, they do add to the scent of a product. These ingredients also tend to be very drying.
Tip #8. Apply a Sunscreen
You apply sunscreen to your face and all over your body, so why don’t you apply sunscreen on your lips? This is one of the most common areas that are forgotten. Consider looking for lip products that contain SPF30.
You should also look for lip products that contain either titanium oxide or zinc oxide. These two ingredients are effective at blocking out the sun as well. The sun can dry out your lips and cause them to age.
Tip #9. Be Careful When Applying Other Skincare Products
When applying face creams or using exfoliators on your face, it’s easy to accidentally smudge a little bit of those products onto your lips. While those products may be excellent for your face, they may irritate your lips, as they are significantly thinner. Be very careful when applying any chemical exfoliators, especially ones containing glycolic acid or salicylic acid, or retinol-based products on your face. Try to avoid as much of your lips as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you’ve never used a lip scrub before, don’t fret. Although this is highly recommended by dermatologists, not many people make a habit of using a lip scrub. They only remember to use a lip scrub once their lips have become unbearably dry. Some people aren’t even aware that lip scrubs exist. Below are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions surrounding this product.
Can I Use a Facial Scrub as a Lip Scrub?
It’s not a good idea to use a facial scrub on your lips because a facial scrub may be too aggressive and abrasive for your lips. The skin on your face can be up to 16 cells thick, but your lips are much thinner and only about 3 to 5 cells thick. If you use a facial scrub on your lips, you could end up damaging them instead.
How Often Should I Use a Lip Scrub?
Lip scrubs exfoliate your lips to make them plumper, smoother and healthier; however, if you use a lip scrub too often, it can irritate your lips. Exfoliate your lips using a lip scrub twice a week at most, so it has plenty of time to heal.
What’s the Best Way for Applying a Lip Scrub?
Before applying a lip scrub, wet your lips. This will prevent the scrubbing from being too abrasive, as excessively aggressive scrubbing can damage your lips and cause them to peel. Next, apply the lip scrub onto your lips with your fingers using small, circular motions for about 30 seconds. Make sure that you get the corners as well. If you’re using a brush, sponge or a tube, use short, light strokes. Finally, rinse off the product with lukewarm water or wipe it off with a damp cloth or tissue. You should avoid using a lip scrub if there are any open cuts or sunburned areas. Try to be as gentle as possible. You don’t want to overdo it!
Is There Any Aftercare That I Need to Be Aware Of?
Exfoliation is only one step in getting moisturized lips. After using a lip scrub, follow up your routine by applying a repairing lip balm, lip conditioner or moisturizer. You can even use pure petroleum jelly to seal in some of that moisture.
Over and Pout
To get dry, healthy, kissable lips, you’ll need to make sure that you also apply a lip balm, moisturizer or conditioner overnight. These products are intensely moisturizing and will keep your lips feeling supple, soft and smooth.
A lip scrub with all the right ingredients will make a world of difference. You’ll get good results quickly, and if you keep up that routine, you’ll find that your lips will stay nourished, moisturized, plump and soft for even longer. Make using a lip scrub a habit and you’ll never have to worry about dry, chapped lips again!