- How to Choose the Best Vegan Lip Balm for Your Lips
- Top 10 Best Vegan Lip Balms 2021
- 1. Best Overall Vegan Lip Balm: Sun Bum SPF 30 Lip Balm
- 2. Best Budget Vegan Lip Balm: Palmer’s Coconut Oil Formula Lip Balm Duo
- 3. Best Premium Vegan Lip Balm: Hempz Ultra Moisturizing Lip Balm
- 4. Best Tinted Vegan Lip Balm: Honest Beauty Tinted Lip Balm
- 5. Most Eco-Friendly Pick: Eco Lips Vegan Lip Balm
- 6. Best Farmer-Sourced Vegan Lip Balm: Hurraw! Lip Balm
- 7. Best Multipack Pick: Pure + Simple Vegan Lip Balm
- 8. Best Smelling Vegan Lip Balm: Hempz Yuzu and Starfruit Lip Balm
- 9. Most Healing Vegan Lip Balm: Dr. PAWPAW Original Balm
- 10. Most Moisturizing Vegan Lip Balm: Walrus Oil Logger’s Lip Balm
- A Complete Guide to Buying Vegan Lip Balm
- 5 Reasons to Switch to a Vegan Lip Balm
- 3 Extra Lip Care Tips
- Get Luscious, Moisturized Lips Using Vegan Lip Balm
Most people don’t realize that lip balm and other cosmetics contain animal byproducts. As we become more aware and conscious of the ingredients that are found within the products that we consume, we may decide to switch to a vegan lip balm.
These lip balms do not contain any beeswax, which is the main ingredient in most lip balms; however, this does not necessarily mean that they are less effective at soothing and moisturizing our lips. Vegan lip balm tends to be a bit pricier as it contains a lot of essential oils and nutrients that work wonders on our lips to give it that plump, kissable look and feel.
Vegan lip balm will not only improve your lips, but it can also help moisturize and soften it. It can help prevent your lips from aging and is an easy skincare product to put on. Those with dry lips would benefit from applying vegan lip balm every morning, at lunch and every evening. The difference should be night and day! You can carry this product in your purse or in your pockets and re-apply it throughout the day.
How to Choose the Best Vegan Lip Balm for Your Lips
Finding a vegan lip balm is not an easy task., in part because so many contain beeswax. Others contain ingredients, like carmine, which is basically ground-up beetle. Luckily for us, it’s very easy to go completely vegan, as more and more companies are coming out with vegan lip balms. The hard thing is to choose one that’ll work for you.
Although there are many different types of vegan lip balms out there, there are some things that you should pay attention to when choosing a product. The main factors that you should consider are the ingredients that are found within the product, the overall feel of it on your lips, as well as any additional features that the product can provide. We’ve broken these factors down into more detail below.
When purchasing vegan lip balm, the first thing that you want to do is take a look at the ingredient list. Most lip balms contain beeswax, which is not vegan. Many other products will contain a list of chemicals and ingredients that you can’t pronounce. A good vegan lip balm should contain natural ingredients. Most of these ingredients will be essential oils and butters. Most of these ingredients will actually do more for your lips than regular lip balm ingredients.
In each product below, we’ll list out some of the more important ingredients and what they can do for you. For example, avocado oil is high in fatty acids and will do wonders in locking in the moisture. Hemp seed oil can eliminate fine lines and wrinkles to give your lips that plump look you’ve been dreaming of. Some essential oils, like rosemary, can prevent acne and control oil production while others, like pawpaw can heal damaged lips.
One of the most important things to consider when looking for a lip balm is the overall feel. You want something that will easily penetrate deep into the skin without leaving behind any oily residue. Some people really can’t stand greasy lip balm and will decide to stop using lip balm completely in order to avoid that sticky, oily feeling.
Last but not least, it’s important to consider whether the vegan lip balm can offer any additional features. Some additional features that you might want may include:
- Tints. Some people use lip balm instead of lipstick. A tinted balm like Honest Beauty Tinted Lip Balm will add a nice color to your lips that can complement different looks.
- Scents and fragrances. Some people may also enjoy vegan lip balms that come scented. It may encourage them to re-apply the product more frequently. With that said, those with sensitive lips may want to look for fragrance-free lip balms, as these tend to be the gentlest on skin.
- SPF protection. If you spend a lot of time in the sun or outdoors, you’ll definitely want to look for a vegan lip balm that can offer SPF protection], like the Sun Bum Vegan Lip Balm. This type of lip balm will protect your lips from sun damage and will keep them looking young.
- Applicator. Vegan lip balms come in many different types of packaging. For a mess-free application, look for something that comes in the form of a stick. Some vegan lip balms come in jars or in tubes, which can be difficult to apply.
Take the time to understand what each vegan lip balm has to offer, and you’ll likely be pleasantly surprised. You’ll also be able to narrow down your options and choose a vegan lip balm that is more suited to your needs. We’ve explored these important factors in our list of ten best vegan lip balms below.
Top 10 Best Vegan Lip Balms 2021
1. Best Overall Vegan Lip Balm: Sun Bum SPF 30 Lip Balm
Quantity: 3-pack and 1-pack
Founded in 2010, Sun Bum is a company based in the USA. The founders have put a lot of thought into the ingredients that go into each of their products, so you can rest assured that the vegan lip balms are formulated with high quality ingredients that make a difference! Sun Bum Vegan Lip Balm is a great product for those who want to spend time at the beach. It offers SPF 30 protection and is one of our favorite products on this list.
Each pack contains three different flavored lip balms: watermelon, banana and coconut. We love each of them!
This product contains a lot of great ingredients that will keep your lips moisturized and rehydrated. The ingredients are hypoallergenic and great for even the most sensitive skins. While the ingredients within each flavored lip balm will vary, some of the main ingredients that you’ll find in each lip balm include:
- Cocoa butter, which has intense moisturizing properties and will hydrate and condition your lips
- Aloe vera, which does an excellent job at soothing irritated lips while keeping them hydrated
- Vitamin E, which boosts circulation and regenerates new skin to repair damaged lips
- Calendula officinalis flower extract, which can stop lips from peeling and control inflammation
- Salix alba (willow) bark extract, which contains skin-enhancing vitamins and minerals and has anti-aging properties
- Salvia officinalis (Sage) extract, which has antibacterial properties
The ingredients are also gluten-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free and oxybenzone-free. The product is also cruelty-free, so it wasn’t tested on animals.
The only downside to this product is that the texture may not appeal to everyone. While your lips will soak up the ingredients, the formula is a bit thick, which may not be ideal for some people. With that said, the ingredients will quickly soak into the skin, and you’ll see a huge difference in your lips almost immediately.
This vegan lip balm has quite a few additional features that make it quite an attractive choice. For one, it comes in a sturdy tube and is easy to apply. You can easily carry this product in your purse or pockets and reapply it whenever necessary.
This product also offers SPF 30 protection, which will protect your lips from both UVA and UVB rays. This is one of the only vegan lip balms on the market that offers SPF 30 protection; Hempz Yuzu and Starfruit Lip Balm is another that does, too. It’s also been tested, approved and recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation. You could spend hours in the sun without having to worry about damaging your lips. The triple-action formula does more than just protect your lips. It also heals and moisturizes it as well. It’s also water-resistant, so you can go for a swim at the beach!
Last but not least, this product comes in 6 different scents: watermelon, banana, coconut, key lime, mango and pomegranate. They’re literally some of the best smelling lip balms out there.
- Offers SPF 30 protection
- Comes in 6 different scents and flavors
- Contains high quality ingredients that moisturize and hydrate the lips
- A bit thick
2. Best Budget Vegan Lip Balm: Palmer’s Coconut Oil Formula Lip Balm Duo
Quantity: 2-pack and 1-pack
Palmer’s Coconut Oil Formula Lip Balm Duo is easily one of the best vegan lip balms out there if you’re on a budget. These sticks of lip balm are really affordable, but they still contain raw, natural ingredients that are healthy for your lips. The ingredients are able to provide 24 hours of moisture and can easily lock in moisture to condition your lips.
This product comes in both 1-pack and 2-pack. If you’re on a budget, you might want to splurge for the 2-pack option, as it is cheaper. The only downside of this product is that it needs to be reapplied more often than other brands if you’re dealing with extremely dry and chapped lips.
The ingredients in this vegan lip balm can provide up to 24 hours of moisture. Some of the main ingredients in this product include:
- Coconut oil, which deeply moisturizes and softens your lips
- Monoi oil, which hydrates and pampers the lips
- Sweet almond oil, which soothes and comforts your lips
There are many other wonderful ingredients inside this lip moisturizer that can help you hydrate and condition your lips, so you get that healthy and plump look you’ve been vying for.
This vegan lip balm has a wonderful creamy texture to it. Although the ingredients don’t penetrate as quickly into the skin, it doesn’t leave behind any sticky or greasy residue.
You can wear this lip moisturizer out during the day because it offers SPF 15 protection. You should consider re-applying the product throughout the day to ensure that your lips are protected from UVA and UVB rays.
- One of the most affordable vegan lip balms on the market
- Contains an abundance of healthy nutrients and essential oils that are great for the skin
- Contains natural, raw ingredients
- Provides up to 24 hours of moisture
- Contains SPF 15
- Needs to be re-applied more often than other brands
Founded in 1998, Hempz is one of the only beauty companies on the market that manufactures products that highlights the benefits of hemp seed oil. Hempz Ultra Moisturizing Lip Balm contains 100% pure hemp seed oil, and is a product that’s great for those with sensitive skin. This product works wonders and is ideal for extremely dry, chapped lips. It’s super effective, so you only need to use a little bit to make a huge difference. One tube can go a long way.
The main ingredient, hemp seed oil, isn’t an oil that you’d often find in vegan lip balms; however, it is truly one of the most effective ingredients out there. Found in Hempz Yuzu and Starfruit Lip Balm as well, it can easily repair damaged lips. Your dry, chapped lips will transform and become healthy and moisturized with only several uses. The primary ingredients used in this vegan lip balm include:
- Hemp seed oil, which contains a lot of essential fatty acids, carbohydrates, proteins and key minerals that will hydrate, moisturize and condition your lips
- Shea butter, which is rich in vitamin E and D and can protect the skin from dehydration
- Cucumber extract, which is rich in vitamin C and chlorophyll and can heal inflammation
- Aloe extract, which is packed with vitamins, antioxidants and minerals and can calm, soothe and moisturize your skin
As you can see, this vegan lip balm does not skimp on ingredients. The ingredients are high in quality and absolutely great for the skin. The ingredients are also paraben-free, gluten-free and scent-free.
This vegan lip balm feels amazing! It is super hydrating and moisturizing and will condition severely cracked lips. The high-quality ingredients in this lip balm give it a luxurious finish. It doesn’t leave behind any sticky, oily or greasy residue even when you apply a generous amount on extremely damaged lips.
While this product does not offer any additional features, like SPF protection or tints, it’s still easily one of our favorites due to how high quality it is. It’s great for all lip types and is one of the lip balms on the market that is designed for severely inflamed and damaged lips. The essential omegas in this lip balm will condition your lips like a lip mask. You’ll get smooth, moisturized lips with only several uses.
Also, although this lip balm is designed to be used on the lips, it can also be used on the skin as well. If you have dry skin after going out, you can easily apply a little bit of the product on the affected area.
- Contains many essential oils and butter that can soothe and moisturize extremely cracked and chapped lips
- Fragrance-free and suitable for those with sensitive skin
- Has a sheer finish that is similar to lip gloss
- Free of any chemicals
- Ultra-moisturizing, so only a little bit is needed
- Does not offer any SPF protection
4. Best Tinted Vegan Lip Balm: Honest Beauty Tinted Lip Balm
If you’re looking for a vegan lip balm with a lipstick-type of look, then you’ll absolutely love the Honest Beauty Tinted Lip Balm. This product goes on sheer, but it’s buildable. You can easily get a beautiful color from this lip balm, and it can easily replace your lipstick.
Another thing that we love about these vegan lip balms is the packaging. The packaging is super cute, yet plain and reminiscent of a regular lipstick. It’s easy to use and apply. Furthermore, the lip balm tip is tilted and has sharp edges, so you can easily outline your lips.
The Honest Beauty company is founded by Jessica Alba, who is on a mission to change the world one product at a time. All of her products are not only cruelty-free, but also contain great ingredients that are good for your skin. The Honesty philosophy is to prioritize human health and to come up with breakthrough formulas that are designed with performance in mind. The quality of these products is great.
The ingredients found in this product are not only 100% natural, but the formula can lock in moisture for over 6 hours. Some of the main ingredients that you can find within this product include:
- Avocado oil, which contains a lot of fatty acids that can moisturize and protect your lips
- Acai oils, which has amazing antioxidant properties
- Pomegranate oils, which also has superior antioxidant properties
These vegan lip balms are made without any parabens, paraffins, petrolatum, synthetic fragrances, silicones and mineral oil. They’re suitable for sensitive lips.
This vegan lip balm goes on smoothly and quickly. It feels a bit like lipstick, but you definitely feel your lips getting moisturized. The product has a soft texture and adds a little bit of shine to your lips. The product dries down nicely and does not leave any residue behind. It doesn’t feel waxy or too thick.
The main feature associated with this vegan lip balm is its color. These lip balms come in seven different colors that go on sheer but are buildable. For example, the color blood orange gives you a nice peachy orange initially; however, with several more swipes, it comes out as a bright red. Throughout the day, the balm will fade to a natural flushed color. You can easily customize the boldness of the color by adjusting how many layers you put on.
- Sheer, but buildable tinted lip balm
- Comes in seven different shades
- Naturally locks in moisture for over 8 hours
- Contains nourishing antioxidants and essential oils
- Contains no petrolatum, paraffins, parabens, synthetic fragrances, silicones or mineral oils
- Does not offer any SPF protection
5. Most Eco-Friendly Pick: Eco Lips Vegan Lip Balm
Eco Lips is a wonderful company to support. They manufacture their products within the USA and at a facility that uses 100% renewable energy. This type of mindset perfectly matches the ideals of many consumers who prefer vegan lip balms over regular ones. Eco Lips Vegan Lip Balms are packaged in cute sticks that are easy to use and work with.
Like most other vegan lip balms, Eco Lips Vegan Lip Balm is made from 100% natural ingredients. These lip balms do not contain beeswax, lanolin, carmine, chemicals, soy, corn or petroleum. The ingredients are gluten-free and non-toxic. The ingredients are also harvested and processed at an optimal temperature that preserves vital nutrients. This lip kit comes with 3 different types of lip balm. All of which contain the following ingredients:
- Organic coconut oil, which does an excellent job at moisturizing chapped, dry lips
- Fair trade certified cocoa butter, which will soak deep into the lips to keep them soft and supple
- Candelilla wax, which protects the lips from external elements
These vegan lip balms are also cruelty-free and earth-friendly. The different variations of these vegan lip balms also contain other essential oils that are great for the lips. For example, the peppermint and spearmint essential oils in the Sweet Mint Lip Balm can provide a refreshing feel. They can also naturally plump your lips.
This vegan lip balm applies smoothly and does not leave your lips feeling oily or greasy. With that said, it is a bit on the softer side and can melt if left in a heated environment. The consistency of this vegan lip balm makes it a great base for lipsticks. It will even help make your lipstick longer lasting. If you’d rather your lip balm simply replace your lipstick, consider Honest Beauty Tinted Lip Balm.
The main selling point of Eco Lips vegan lip balm is that it comes in many different scents. This package comes with a Superfruit lip balm, a Sweet Mint lip balm and a Lemon-Lime lip balm. You’ll never get bored of moisturizing your lips.
- Comes in many different scents
- Comes in an easy-to-use packaging that is recyclable and contains 30% less plastic than regular lip balm tubes
- Contains many essential oils and nutrients
- Manufactured using 100% renewable energy
- NSF Certified, Non-GMO Project Verified, Fair Trade Certified™, Gluten-Free, Leaping Bunny Certified
- Can melt if left in a heated environment
6. Best Farmer-Sourced Vegan Lip Balm: Hurraw! Lip Balm
Hurraw! Lip Balm is considered to be a premium vegan lip balm. You can tell that they carefully craft each product because they take part in sourcing each ingredient from quality vendors and farmers. Hurraw! was founded in 2010. This company chooses to manufacture fresh products daily, so you can rest assured that you’ll be getting a quality product.
One of the best things about Hurraw! is that they are able to give you many different options to choose from. Your 3-pack will contain three different types of vegan lip balms, like the coconut balm, the early grey balm and the mint balm. Another thing you’ll love about this product is the packaging. It’s really high quality, and you can easily dispense the lip balm from the stick.
With that said, it’s important to keep in mind that quality comes at a cost, and these vegan lip balms are a tad pricey; for a cheaper option, check out Palmer’s Coconut Oil Formula Lip Balm Duo. They’re also made in the USA.
Hurraw! lip balm is considered to be a premium lip balm for a good reason. These moisturizers are made from premium ingredients sourced directly from farmers. The ingredients are certified organic and come from cold-pressed and mechanically extracted nuts, seed oils and butters. These ingredients are processed at low temperatures, so they retain as much of their essential nutrients and enzymes as possible. This creates a superior product.
As different balms contain different essential oils, it can be difficult to pinpoint what each vegan lip balm contains. With that said, there is some consistency and you can expect the following ingredients:
- Almond oil, which moisturizes, re-softens and conditions dry, chapped lips
- Apricot kernel oil, which is rich in vitamin A and E and is great for soothing sensitive skin
- Cacao butter, which does an excellent job at locking in moisture
- Coconut oil, which is a great moisturizer and can also soothe inflammation
- Olive oil, which is rich in vitamin A and E and can protect damaged lips
An important thing to note is that these vegan lip balms are made in a facility that also processes nuts. That’s where some of the oils in the lip balm comes from, so those with a nut allergy should avoid this product.
These vegan lip balms look and feel amazing! You won’t get any sticky or greasy residue on your lips. The texture of this product is very soft, and you only need a little bit to moisturize your lips.
One of the best things about this brand is that it gives you a lot of options to choose from. Some of the other flavors that are available include grapefruit, hazelnut, green tea, lemon, licorice, baobab banana, black cherry, almond, ahiflower apple, raspberry, grapefruit, coffee, chocolate, pineapple, root beer, papaya, orange and lime.
These vegan lip balms have a nice tint to them. For example, the black cherry vegan lip balm has a beautiful deep red sheer that’s perfect for an evening out. The raspberry balm comes in a gorgeous sheer berry hue that will complement a more sophisticated outfit. It’s important to note that the tint will vary in color with each batch because of the seasonal growing fluctuations.
- Uses certified organic, cold-pressed and mechanically extracted nut, seed oils and butters
- Comes in many different scents and flavors
- Manufactured in an EcoCert COSMOS certified facility
- Part of PETA’s cruelty-free company program
- Very soothing and moisturizing
- A tad more expensive than some other vegan lip balm brands
- Cannot be used by those with nut allergies
- Tint may vary in color depending on the season
7. Best Multipack Pick: Pure + Simple Vegan Lip Balm
Pure + Simple is an excellent brand to support. It’s an all-natural skincare and wellness spa for customers that provides products that are consistent with their healthy and natural lifestyle. All of the products carried by Pure + Simple is based on Ayurveda, which is a holistic health modality that originates from India. It emphasizes the sacred relationship between a person’s mind, body and spirit.
This vegan lip balm contains many wonderful ingredients. It comes in the form of a stick, so it is incredibly easy to apply. You’ll get 5 vegan lip balms with each purchase, so each lip balm is actually priced very affordably.
Like all other vegan lip balms, Pure + Simple vegan lip balm is made from 100% vegan and natural ingredients. The product is cruelty-free. We really like this product because it is one of the more affordable vegan lip balms out there. Although it’s affordable, Pure + Simple did not cheap out on any of the ingredients, so you’ll find some wonderful ingredients like:
- Avocado oil, which is high in healthy fats and can help soothe, moisturize and heal dry, chapped lips
- Jojoba oil, which can reduce skin redness and further lock in moisture
- Castor oil, which has anti-inflammatory properties
- Vitamin E complex, which can reduce UV damage on the skin
- Candelilla wax, which protects your lips from the elements
- Rosemary oleoresin, which can help control oil production and keep acne at bay
This product is gluten-free, paraben-free, sulfate-free and fragrance-free. It also does not contain any petroleum.
This vegan lip balm has a creamy texture to it. This is mostly because it is loaded with so many essential oils! As a result, this vegan lip balm may feel a bit oily to some people. It should be applied over lipstick and should not be used as a base.
This product is PETA approved and made in a vegan certified facility in Green Valley, Arizona. You’ll be supporting a wholesome company in your own background. Best of all, it comes with a money-back satisfaction guarantee.
This vegan lip balm is also fragrance-free. This may be boring to some people, but it means that this product is great for those with sensitive skin.
- Loaded with skin rejuvenating natural oils
- Comes in the form of a stick, so it is easy to apply
- Fragrance-free for sensitive lips
- Will moisturize, soothe and heal dry lips
- Has a bit of an oily feel to it
8. Best Smelling Vegan Lip Balm: Hempz Yuzu and Starfruit Lip Balm
If you enjoy spending time in the sun, you’re going to need a vegan lip balm with SPF protection. Hempz Yuzu and Starfruit Lip Balm has SPF broad spectrum SPF 15 protection. You should apply this product liberally onto your lips 15 minutes before you go out into the sun. You should also re-apply the product every 2 hours or so to make sure that you have all of the protection that you need.
This vegan lip balm stands out because the base is made from 100% pure hemp seed oil. This is one of the best smelling vegan lip balms on the market right now. If you want a wider variety of scents to choose from, check out Eco Lips Vegan Lip Balm.
The only issue with this lip balm is that it comes in a tube, which can lead to a messy application. The good news is that you get a lot of product inside each tube.
The main star in this vegan lip balm is the 100% pure hemp seed oil. This type of oil does not contain any THC at all. While cannabis often gets a bad name, the truth of the matter is that hemp seed is great for the skin and body. It can eliminate fine lines and wrinkles. Also, hemp seed oil contains a lot of omega fatty acids that will turn back the hands of time and lock in moisture. Other ingredients that can be found in this vegan lip balm include:
- Coffee cherry extract, which is a natural antioxidant that can minimize skin damage
- Citrus fruit complexes, which can soothe irritated skin
- Carthamus tinctorius (safflower) seed oil, which has anti-inflammatory and antioxidative properties
All of these ingredients come together to create an excellent product. You’ll also find a lot of yuzu and starfruit extracts and oils that create that pleasant scent that you’re after.
This vegan lip balm is a bit sheer. It does feel great on your skin, and you’ll notice that the hemp seed oil will quickly permeate into the lips once the balm is applied. You won’t get that gross, sticky feeling. This vegan lip balm is also very light on the lips. You won’t really notice it much after applying it.
Surprisingly, Hempz Yuzu and Starfruit Lip Balm is packed with additional features. For one, this hemp lip moisturizer offers full-spectrum SPF 15 protection from UVA and UVB rays. This will help keep your skin healthy and cancer-free. You can stay out all day in the sun, and your lips won’t be irritated at all if you constantly reapply this lip balm.
This lip moisturizer also features a beautiful scent. The yuzu and starfruit flavorings are unique to this brand and will help you relax. After all, both of these scents are often used in aromatherapy.
- Contains broad spectrum SPF 15 protection
- Formulated with 100% pure hemp seed oil
- Scented with yuzu and starfruit flavorings
- Soothing and moisturizing
- Contain essential vitamins and oils
- Comes in a tube
9. Most Healing Vegan Lip Balm: Dr. PAWPAW Original Balm
Dr. Paw Paw original balm has won many beauty awards. It is one of the most raved about vegan lip balms on the market because it contains some very interesting ingredients that can heal your lips. These ingredients include the pawpaw fruit, aloe vera leaf juice, olive fruit oil and more. This vegan lip balm contains more than 200 natural ingredients that are known to heal the skin and body. Best of all, this product is cruelty-free and was even approved by PETA.
Another great thing about this product is that it is very versatile and can be used on the skin as well as on hair. You’ll be delighted with just what this product can do! This product is also gluten-free.
The only downside to this product is that it comes in a squeezable tube. It can be slightly difficult to apply this product. You should squeeze a little bit of the product out and apply it with your fingertips.
Dr Paw Paw original balm is known for containing more than 200 natural ingredients. This vegan lip balm is specially formulated with ingredients like:
- Carica papaya (pawpaw), which has insane healing and anti-inflammatory abilities and is full of antioxidants, minerals and vitamins C and B
- Aloe barbadensis leaf juice, which does a wonderful job at absorbing and restoring moisture to the lips
- Olive fruit oil, which can soothe and moisturize even the most chapped and dry lips
These ingredients can all work together to soothe dry lips and help regenerate damaged skin cells. The ingredients can also provide relief from dry, irritated areas. Its unique, patented blend will transform your lips and give you those plump lips that you’ve always dreamed of having.
This product feels similar to Vaseline. It’s a bit oily, but it’s not greasy or sticky at all. You’ll immediately feel a soothing sensation when you put this balm on your lips.
This vegan lip balm can offer many additional features. You can purchase the clear vegan lip balm, which has a nice sheen to it. You can apply this vegan lip balm underneath your lipstick as a base or even on top of lipstick as a barrier to protect your lips from the elements. This vegan lip balm also comes tinted in many different shades and color. The Dr. Paw Paw peach pink balm has a beautiful peach pink sheen to it that will compliment fair skin tones. The Dr Paw Paw Ultimate Red Balm has a nice red sheen to it that’s perfect for a night out.
This product can also be used as a primer for dry skin, on the cheekbones as a highlighter, as a moisturizer for dried feet, skin, elbows and knees, to soothe sore and irritated skin, to relieve itchiness from eczema, to heal burns, and to even tame frizzy hair.
- Made from 100% natural ingredients
- Is multi-purpose and can be used on the cuticles, brows and cheekbones
- Contains pawpaw fruit, which has healing properties
- Contains many antioxidants and vitamins
- Comes in various tints
- Comes in a squeezable tube instead of a stick
10. Most Moisturizing Vegan Lip Balm: Walrus Oil Logger’s Lip Balm
This vegan lip balm is made from 100% plant-based ingredients. It’s packed full of nutrient rich oils and healthy ingredients that are great for your lips and your skin. This product is designed for those who work in some of the toughest outdoor conditions, as it will effectively coat and protect your lips from the harsh environment. It not only moisturizes chapped lips but will soothe them from the inside out.
One tube of this vegan lip balm can last you for quite some time. After you’ve opened the package, the lip balm can sit for about 6 months. Make sure that you keep it in a cool and dry place. If you store in a high temperature environment, the lip balm will take on a sandy texture that may be unpleasant. You’ll need to carefully scrape off the top layer to get rid of the sandy texture.
When you look at the ingredient list, you’ll likely be surprised to see that you recognize almost all of the ingredients on the list. This vegan lip balm contains a lot of nutritious essential oils that will work wonders on chapped, cracked and dry lips. Some of the ingredients that you’ll find in this vegan lip balm include:
- Almond oil and coconut oil, which will moisturize cracked and dry lips
- Jojoba oil, which will lock in moisture and reduce any skin redness
- Black currant seed oil, which can regenerate damaged skin cells
- Shea butter, which is rich in vitamin A and E
- Vitamin E, which can reduce inflammation
- Candelilla wax, which creates a barrier between your lips and the elements
- Peppermint oil and clove flower oil, which can soothe irritated lips
All of the ingredients used in this vegan lip balm is 100% natural. This is one of the best things about this product. All of these ingredients were carefully curated to create a soothing and moisturizing product that will transform your lips from dry and cracked to plump and moisturized.
This vegan lip balm is highly recommended by many people because it’s non-shiny, non-greasy and non-sticky. It feels great on your lips, and you only need to coat your lips with a thin layer to get the soothing, moisturizing effects that you desire.
This lip balm is also lightly scented with peppermint and clove essential oils. You’ll enjoy a nice fragrance that will last throughout the day. While this lip balm does a great job at moisturizing your lips, it, unfortunately, does not offer any SPF protection or other important features.
- Contains a lot of essential oils and nutrients
- Has a shelf life of approximately 6 months
- Non-greasy, non-shiny and non-sticky
- Black currant seed oil regenerates damaged skin cells
- Very soothing and moisturizing
- Prolonged exposure to high temperatures can cause this lip balm to take on a sandy texture
A Complete Guide to Buying Vegan Lip Balm
The right lip moisturizer will not only moisturize and rehydrate your lips, but it’ll also repair damaged skin. There are many options to choose from, but one of the most important things that you should do is look at the ingredient list. Learn about the different ingredients to figure out what’s good for your lips and what should be avoided as much as possible. Here, we’ll break down the ingredients, as well as answer your other questions about vegan lip balms.
Ingredients to Look For
There are so many different types of ingredients that can be found in vegan lip balms that it would be impossible to list them all. The key is to look for ingredients that are natural and cruelty-free. Look for ingredients that contain essential oils and fatty acids that are good for the skin, like hemp seed oil or coconut oil.
Ingredients to Avoid
While vegan lip balms contain a lot of great nutrients, like healthy fatty acids and essential oils, some contain chemicals as well (although not as much as regular lip balms). Some ingredients have been linked to harmful side effects and should be avoided, especially by those with sensitive skin. We’ve looked at some of these ingredients below.
Phenol is used to treat bacteria and is an exfoliant. This ingredient is often found in cosmetic chemical peels, and, in theory, will help exfoliate dead skin off of flaky lips. Unfortunately, dry, chapped lips need repair and moisturization rather than exfoliation. Due to this reason, phenol can severely irritate the lips and cause more damage than good.
Menthol gives lip balm that nice tingle that many people are looking for. It can also help plump up lips. Unfortunately, it may actually burn chapped, dry lips and is actually very drying in the long run. It can also make your lips a lot more sensitive to the sun. You should avoid this ingredient and similar ingredients, like camphor and alum, which essentially do the same thing.
Salicylic acid is like phenol and will exfoliate the lips. This ingredient is very drying, so avoid it at all costs as it can lead to inflammation and further drying.
Artificial Scents and Fragrances
Although you might think that a vegan lip balm that smells and tastes amazing is a good thing, it’s not necessarily true. You want to avoid artificial scents and fragrances in skincare products as much as possible as they often will do more harm than good, especially if you have sensitive skin. These ingredients can irritate your lips and cause inflammation.
Many fragrances also contain phthalates, which have been linked to hormone disruption. Phthalates can reduce sperm count in men and fertility in women. They can also worsen respiratory conditions, like asthma, and allergies.
Butylated Hydroxyanisole (BHA) and Butylated Hydroxytoluene (BHT)
Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) are two ingredients that are often used as preservatives in lip balm. Unfortunately, both of these ingredients have been linked to endocrine disruption, respiratory irritation, developmental and reproductive toxicity and other issues. Those with sensitive skin, in particular, should avoid these ingredients.
Parabens, which basically include all ingredients with paraben like propylparaben or isobutylparaben are also ingredients that should be avoided. These ingredients have the ability to mimic estrogen and can disrupt the endocrine system. As a result, some studies have found that paraben use is linked to an increased risk of breast cancer and skin cancer.
Chemical sunscreens include ingredients like octinoxate, homosalate and oxybenzone. While chemical sunscreens can protect your lips from the sun, they have been known to be a bit toxic. Long-term use has been linked to endometriosis in women. These ingredients can also alter and disrupt normal hormone function in both genders.
The Petroleum Jelly Controversy
Some vegan lip balms contain petroleum jelly as a base or as an additional ingredient. If possible, you may wish to stay away from this ingredient whenever possible. While this ingredient does form a protective barrier over the skin and can protect your lips from harsh winds, it doesn’t actually moisturize your lips. Petroleum jelly may also prevent your lips from being able to absorb external moisture and the nutrients found inside some of the other main ingredients.
“Petrolatum works by creating an occlusive (protective) barrier over the skin. So it does seal the moisture in, however it doesn’t allow moisture to be absorbed into the skin from the atmosphere (some people term this as the skin not being able to breathe).”
Another reason to stay away from petroleum jelly is that it has been known to darken the color of lips in some individuals. This can cause your lips to look dull and unhealthy. On top of this, petroleum jelly can cause skin congestion. Although your lips don’t have any oil glands, the skin around your lips do. If you’re not careful, you can clog the pores around your lips. This can lead to acne and other issues.
There are plenty of other ingredients that can replace petroleum jelly. Due to this reason, you should try to avoid this ingredient whenever possible.
Other Factors to Consider
Other than the ingredients, there are some other factors that you should consider when picking up a vegan lip balm. They include:
- Quantity as well as the amount needed. Consider the amount of product that you will get. Compare this with the amount of product that you’ll need to get the hydration that you need. For example, while some products may not contain a lot of lip balm, you need only a little bit to coat your entire lips. These products may actually give you a better deal than a product that needs to be reapplied often.
- Packaging. Look for something that is easy to apply and sturdy. We like vegan lip balms that come in sticks because these products are less likely to leak out of their packaging. They’re also easy to apply.
- Shelf life. Consider how long the product will last. Some vegan lip balms contain ingredients that cannot sit more than several months after the package is opened.
Take all of these factors into consideration in order to find a product that works for you.
5 Reasons to Switch to a Vegan Lip Balm
Vegan lip balm works just as well as regular lip balm. In fact, some people find these products to be more effective at repairing and moisturizing damaged lips. If you’re on the fence about switching to a vegan lip balm, take a look below at some of the reasons why you should.
#1. Vegan Lip Balm Is Usually Better for Sensitive Skin
A lot of the coloring in lip balms comes from beetles. Carmine is a red coloring agent that’s made from ground-up cochineal beetles. Unfortunately, some people are actually allergic to these coloring agents. Many other animal byproducts found in regular lip balms can also cause irritation. Some people are allergic to beeswax and others may be allergic to lanolin. Vegan lip balms contain fewer ingredients and chemicals. By switching to a vegan lip balm, you are often choosing a product that is made from ingredients that are more suitable for sensitive skin.
#2. Vegan Lip Balm Is Often Cruelty-Free
There’s a difference between cruelty-free and vegan. Cruelty-free means that a product is not tested on animals whereas vegan means that a product does not contain any animal byproducts. Testing on animals does not necessarily mean that the product is safe for humans; however, the testing process is often very painful for animals. Vegan lip balm is often cruelty-free, which means that no animals are harmed in the making of the product.
#3. Vegan Lip Balm Is Often More Environmentally Friendly
In general, vegan lip balms are more environmentally friendly. These companies often use recycled products for their packaging and often produce packaging that is biodegradable and can be easily recycled.
#4. You’re Putting Healthy Ingredients on Your Lips
Creating a base for vegan lip balm is a lot harder. Manufacturers have to put a lot of thought into the ingredients that go into their product, and, more often than not, vegan lip balms contain healthier and more natural ingredients that are better for your lips. You’re more likely to find healthy essential oils that will moisturize and condition your lips, as well as nutrients that will repair your lips from any type of damage that it may have sustained.
#5. You’ll Help Save Bees
Did you know that beeswax is made by boiling a honeycomb in hot water and then cooling it? To make beeswax, many bees may be killed due to haphazard handling. By avoiding products that use beeswax, you can do your part in saving bees, which are essential to our world.
3 Extra Lip Care Tips
Having plump, moisturized lips takes time. You need to learn how to care for your lips and be consistent with applying lip balm. A lot of people only apply lip balm for several days before forgetting to use the product again. This won’t help much. It’s always a good idea to purchase several tubes of lip balm at once, so you keep some at home, some at the office and some in your purse. This way, you have no excuse not to apply lip balm to your dry lips.
Having healthy lips takes more than just knowing when to apply lip balm. Here are 3 additional lip care tips that you should follow.
#1. Exfoliate Your Lips
Exfoliate your lips at least once a month using a lip scrub! This will help get rid of all of the dead skin on your lips, so the lip balm ingredients can easily soak in. Exfoliating your lips will also get rid of all of your flaky skin, so your lips look plumper and healthier. It will immediately restore some shine, smoothness and softness to your lips. While exfoliating your lips is important, make sure that you don’t over-exfoliate, as this can also damage your lips. The rule of thumb is to exfoliate two times a week at most.
#2. Stop Licking Your Lips
Many people don’t even realize that they have a habit of licking their lips. Those with dry, chapped lips are often the worst offenders. Be more conscious as to whether or not you lick your lips, and if you do, stop that habit immediately! Your saliva will actually dry out your lips and cause it to become more vulnerable and susceptible to skin damage and external elements.
#3. Use Lip Balm as a Base Underneath Your Lipstick
It’s not always easy to find a tinted vegan lip balm that you like. Most vegan lip balms go on clear and will, at most, give you a nice sheer or gloss finish. While lipstick will give your lips that nice color you’re looking for, many lipsticks contain ingredients that will dry out your lips and make them more susceptible and vulnerable to the elements.
You can protect your lips by applying lip balm as a base underneath your lipstick. The lip balm will not only act as a moisturizer, but it can also hold the pigments in the lipstick in place, so you get a longer lasting color without having to reapply. If you are using a lipstick that has moisturizing properties, apply an emollient lip balm as a base. However, if you are using a long-lasting or matte lipstick, you’ll want to apply lip balm both underneath the lipstick and overtop it as well.
Get Luscious, Moisturized Lips Using Vegan Lip Balm
Don’t struggle with dry lips any longer! You can easily have the plump and moisturized lips that you’ve been dreaming of by applying vegan lip balm every morning after brushing your teeth, after lunch and in the evening before you go to bed. If you’re planning on putting on lipstick during the day, apply the lip balm as a base first to prevent any ingredients in the lipstick from drying your lips out even more.
Vegan lip balm is a great choice for those with sensitive skin or for those with dry, chapped lips. The ingredients are ultra-moisturizing and will rehydrate and condition your lips in no time.